Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Bear



The Bear, by William Falukner, I would have to say was one of the hardest books I have ever had to get through. I started about 3 differnt times and then quit. It really helped in class one day when someone said to just read it and keep reading it, just go through the part you don't understand and keep reading. For me that was the key to reading William Faulkner. After i got into the rythum of the book i actually didn't mind reading it. I still didn't really understand everything but the story started to come out in a way that it didn't before. I guess just like Ike had to leave his compass and rifle and watch behind, I had to leave behind my preconceved idea before i could really get into the book. Faulkner really tries to caputure people with his stories and his word use. He uses his long sentences to create a flow and rythum. But for me the long sentences at first were making it too hard. I would like to say that after i finished the book i really liked it and loved Faulkner's style but that would be a lie. I don't think I will pick up a book by Faulkner for awhile, but if I have to read him again for another class this time I will know how to read it and what to expect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home